- 1 Warning: unsupported host systems
- 2 System emulation
- 2.1 Incompatible changes
- 2.2 Deprecated options and features
- 2.3 Future incompatible changes
- 2.4 Alpha
- 2.5 68k
- 2.6 ARM
- 2.7 HPPA
- 2.8 Microblaze
- 2.9 MIPS
- 2.10 Nios2
- 2.11 OpenRISC
- 2.12 PowerPC
- 2.13 RISC-V
- 2.14 s390
- 2.15 SH
- 2.16 SPARC
- 2.17 TileGX
- 2.18 Tricore
- 2.19 x86
- 2.20 Xtensa
- 2.21 Device emulation and assignment
- 2.22 Audio
- 2.23 Character devices
- 2.24 Crypto subsystem
- 2.25 GUI
- 2.26 Host support
- 2.27 Memory backends
- 2.28 Monitor
- 2.29 Migration
- 2.30 Network
- 2.31 Block devices and tools
- 2.32 Tracing
- 2.33 Miscellaneous
- 3 User-mode emulation
- 4 TCG
- 5 Guest agent
- 6 Build Information
- 7 Known issues
Warning: unsupported host systems
Unsupported host setups are CPU and operating systems which we do not have access to and are thus unable to test. They will continue to work in this release (though configure will warn you about the unsupported status), but in a future QEMU release we may drop support for those hosts unless somebody volunteers to help us with maintaining them (and can provide build/CI machines).
This affects the OSes:
- DragonFly BSD
- Option "-no-kvm-pit-reinjection" has been removed. Use "-global kvm-pit.lost_tick_policy=discard" instead.
- Option "-no-kvm-irqchip" has been removed. Use "-machine kernel_irqchip=off" instead.
- The "vlan" parameter of the "-net" option has been removed. Use "-netdev" with IDs or the "hubport" netdev instead.
- The "xlnx-ep108" machine has been replaced by the "xlnx-zcu102" machine.
- The qemu-img "convert -s snapshot_id_or_name" argument has been removed. Use "convert -l snapshot_param" instead.
Deprecated options and features
- The "arch" output member of the "query-cpus-fast" command is deprecated. Use the "target" output member instead.
- Option "-virtioconsole" is deprecated, use "-device virtconsole" instead.
- The non-functional "-clock" option will be removed soon.
- The "pc-0.10" and "pc-0.11" machines are now deprecated. Use newer machine types instead.
- Option "-enable-hax" is deprecated. Use "-accel hax" instead.
Consult the "Deprecated Features" appendix for the full list of historically deprecated features/options.
Future incompatible changes
- Three options are using different names on the command line and in configuration file. In particular:
- The "acpi" configuration file section matches command-line option "acpitable";
- The "boot-opts" configuration file section matches command-line option "boot";
- The "smp-opts" configuration file section matches command-line option "smp".
- -readconfig will standardize on the name for the command line option.
- Behavior of automatic calculation of SMP topology when some SMP topology options for -smp are omitted (sockets, cores, threads) will change in the future. If guest ABI needs to be preserved on upgrades while using the SMP topology options, users should either set set all options explicitly (sockets, cores, threads), or omit all of them.
- Devices "allwinner-a10", "pc87312", "ssi-sd" will be configured with explicit properties instead of implicitly. This is unlikely to affect users.
- For x86, specifying a CPUID feature with both "+feature/-feature" and "feature=on/off" will cause a warning. The current behavior for this combination ("+feature/-feature" wins over "feature=on/off") will be changed so that "+feature" and "-feature" will be synonyms for "feature=on" and "feature=off" respectively).
- The read-only block drivers "bochs", "cloop" and "dmg" as well as "rbd" and "vvfat" in certain read-only configurations will no longer enable read-only mode automatically. It will be necessary to specify "read-only=on" explicitly on the command line and in QMP commands for the setup to keep working; the default "read-only=off" setting will result in an error.
- On s390x, using KVM with a Linux host kernel version < 3.15 has been broken since QEMU version 2.10. This will not be fixed unless a need is communicated (otherwise the code will be removed in the near future, so that you need at least Linux kernel version 3.15 on the host to run KVM on System z)
Device emulation and assignment
Block devices and tools
- New build target "check-tcg" will run cross-architecture tests
- see Planning/3.0